Working together for a living planet

Thursday, September 28, 2006

"we care"

The media has been encouraging us (sporadically) to recycle. We hear repeated jingles over the radio to recycle our rubbish but how far has this got us? I am not sure such recycling campaigns have been very successful for the following reasons:

1. Insufficient rubbish bins that encourage us to separate our garbage; maybe this should be compulsory in office complexes and shopping complexes.

2. Not all schools have separate garbage bins for different types of rubbish, and therefore recycling is not taught from young.

3. An attitude change has not taken place – we definitely need a mindset shift to do this. We need to achieve critical mass on communication on recycling from all fronts; from the media, government councils, community centers, recycling centers, companies and businesses.


Recycling should be lead by large companies’ i.e. multinational companies that have experience overseas on recycling. For example, UK based supermarkets charge a small amount to customers for plastic bags they use when they make purchases. With this in mind, a lot of customers actually bring their own shopping bags to and place their purchases in the bags that they brought. Can such MNCs take on educating the public as a corporate responsibility to the community?? Which is the first hyper market that dares to charge customers for plastic bags first? Maybe, give them a few cents discount for plastic bags not used may be an idea.

I did this when I shop for food especially here. I said here because I tense to forget sometimes when I did food-shopping elsewhere. I know that this is not good. I still have to set my mind to practice this no matter where I shop. That’s why I will normally have plastic boxes ready in my 4wd no matter where I go, whether far or near. In case I have to pack some food, I already have some containers ready in hand. People around me would be very surprised when I brought plastic containers to pack food that I bought. The pic on the right shown the
kuih-muih I bought in the evening for break fast. So did you realize something here people. I could save our environment. In fact the plastic containers were so convenient that I could just place them on our dining table, ready to be served. It’s also with plastic cover, to avoid from the food being aired or attacked by insects etc.

We must change our attitudes towards waste disposal and recycling. The next time before you discard litter into the bin, look at what you hold in your hands. They are most likely to be made of paper, plastic, glass, metal or organic waste which are all recyclable one way or another. Yes, I agree with many that sometimes it is just too difficult to recycle when facilities such as recycling bins are scarce and few to come by. A lot more can be done by the government to promote recycling as a direct and effective method of reducing waste going to landfills.


What you can do to reduce use of plastic:

• Bring a nylon or cloth bag when you go shopping to save the use of plastic bags.

• Recycle plastic bags by taking along plastic bags from home when going shopping rather then using new plastic bags.

• Choose paper bags if you have an option to choose between paper bags or plastic bags.

• Composting is an efficient and environmentally friendly way of discarding home bulk waste which accounts for large proportion of household waste.

• An alternative is to use pots to compost if you don’t have a big garden. Get ten pots. Start by filling one pot with alternate layers of soil and household waste. Depending on family size, estimate three days per pot. Keep it moist. By the end of the month, the first pot will be ready for use in the garden or to store. Start the process again in the first pot.


Recycle everything you can; newspaper, cans, glass, aluminum foil and pans, motor oil, crap metal, etc. Click
here to find out more about the 101 things you can do to conserve resources and protect the environment.

kuE's note:
i) this post can be found
here too ;)
ii) the green "i care" bag was a courtesy of cold storage, gurney plaza.