Working together for a living planet

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

mind your table manners


wahhh... i am sure all you people would wonder, of what lar kuE posted the above pics lol... well, its all about table manners problem that i encountered earlier this afternoon.

first, let me confess that (please refer pics) :—

  1. to show that one has not yet finished eating, utensils must be placed in the four o'clock position,
  2. they are placed in the six o'clock position when one has finished;

correct me if i am wrong?

i was at the pearl view hotel in butterworth this morning for a meet-the-gm session, who came all the way from kl. alright, thats fine. we had our lunch at the hotel's roof top cafe. my mobile was ringing, when i was about to finish my meal. then i quickly placed my fork and spoon as in four o'clock position (no. 1) before i answer the call. suddenly a waiter came to me when i was talking on the phone. he wanted to take-away my plate i tell you. i had to do sign-language with my other hand to show that i haven't finish eating. a few minutes after the waiter left, a waitress came to me and same thing happened.

once i have finished talking on the phone, i told a colleague who seated infront of me, "teruk lar depa ni kan?".

"young people", she replied me.

"muda tak muda... what i know from my experience, everyone should know this simple basic thingy especially those involved in f&b line", i told them.

all of them at my table just smiled.

not even few minutes later, shaidi came and asked me to sms something (only we knew ok lol) to all the other colleagues in our trading area—there were many people, so we can't find them all. now when i was sms-ing, another waitress came and wanted to take my plate too! argghhh... tension nye!!! i told her that i haven't finished. i continued eating. i placed my fork and spoon as in six o'clock position when i have finished (no. 2). minutes later, another waiter (i guess he was the supervisor this time) came and asked me whether he could take my plate. now, of course he can!... ;)

so, what say you?


kuE's up-date on 8/03/07;

DNAS, thank you so much for your comment. fyi i was in home science class as well. my teachers mrs chan and puan rahimah told us that the utensils must be placed upwards once we have done with our meal. alright, maybe its different everywhere. but from my experiences (even my parents taught me so too) and many research that i have done, they said the same thing. please click here to read more about dining etiquette, which is very good with full illustrations ;)